Chancel Window (second from the East) by William Wailes, 1849
Memorial Window to Margaret Earle
William Wailes (1806 - 1876)
The two windows on the south side of the Chancel are from the studio of William Wailes which operated in Newcastle-upon-Tyne between 1838 and 1914.
Wailes was originally a grocer and tea merchant. He made and fired small enamels in a homemade kiln and sold them in his shop. He studied stained glass design and production in Germany before setting up his own studio in 1838.
He produced designs for Pugin but the working relationship lasted only a few years. Pugin was known for going from studio to studio to find the cheapest rates. But Wailes was soon established in his own right – by 1851 he had 76 men working for him.
His style fitted in with the popular Gothic Revival of the time. He used bright colours and ornate foliate patterns. Work from his studio sometimes contains a monogram of his initials within a shield but it is not present in either of the windows at All Saints.