The History of All Saints Church
There has been a church in Newton since Saxon times.
Originally dedicated to All Saints, it was known as St Mary's between circa 1848-1890* before reverting back to All Saints.
The current Grade II Listed Building dates from 1849, although the Tower is approximately 900 years old.
The church was rebuilt twice in the 19th Century, both rebuilds were financed by the Dawnay family who resided at nearby Beningbrough Hall. The first rebuild was in 1839.
Just ten years later Dawnay's daughter the Hon. Lydia Dawnay commissioned George Townsend Andrews to rebuild the church and it was at this stage that the magnificent spire, 150ft from the ground, was added.